Opening hours and guided tours
FROM 01 JULY TO 30 SEPTEMBER
09.30 : 12.30 pm - 16.00 : 19.30
FROM 01 OCTOBER TO 30 JUNE
09.30 : 12.30 pm - 15.00 : 18.30
348 / 65.22.226
FROM 01 OCTOBER TO MARCH OPEN BY APPOINTMENT
348 / 65.22.226
Via Roma, 14
07030 BULZI (SS)
C. F. / P. IVA 02728030905
Copyright 2018 - 2019 © Simbranos Soc. Coop.
St. Peter of the Images
A splendid example of Pisan Romanesque, the building dates back to the period between 1080 and 1220, built in three phases within this period, located 4 Km from the village on the SS 134 to Laerru. An integral part of a Monastery, of which only a few traces of the old walls on the ground. Once you kept several wooden altars and a Wooden Group of the Deposition of the THIRTEENTH century by an unknown painter of the florentine school. These works are now in the Parish church of Bulzi. Located in the centre of the Anglona, is located on a line which consists of 8 churches: S. Maria di Tergu, S. Pancrazio, S. Nicola from silanis (ruins, partially restored), St. Mary Solio or SS.Annunziata (ruins), st. John, St. Elijah, St. Peter of Simbranos (the church disappeared, it was located to the north of the town of Bulzi, which in some guides is often confused with St. Peter of the Images) and San Pietro delle immagini. These churches were part of the complex of the abbey, in the most part by the benedictine Cassinesi) and were donated by the Judges of Torres, to the monks of Montecassino in the TWELFTH century.
Some studies ipotizzerebbero the identification of this church with the Church of San Pietro di Nurchi, named in the documents, attesting to the possessions of the Cycle, but never found it again. This theory was exposed for the first time in the book "A sign in Time" Anna Premoli in 1997. Were also found relics of the roman period, and this induces us to regard it as a sacred pagan area. Probably it was reused in the byzantine era. The church is the subject in the last year to the works of restoration and research, both inside and in the adjacent area which was the relevance of the monastery. Now it is possible to follow an alternative route to the main road, which, thanks to a wooden bridge recently built by the Municipality allows, on foot or by bike, arriving at the church, following the old track that connected Bulzi. In addition, the surrounding area is a source of the Roman age, which feeds the fountain in the square in front of the church, and the more distant the Nuraghe Rodas, four-sided, with traces of the nuragic village.
(Text by Andrea Brianda, Bulzi)